As a leader in your home, business or community you know how important it is to set goals and work towards accomplishing them. In our world today though there are more distractions than ever before. Some distractions interfere with keeping us from moving forward, and our children have distractions too.
All of us, young or older, have more distractions today than we did 10 or 20 years ago. It used to be that our distractions included the phone ringing, the needs of others and circumstances that arose in our life that took us off the path we wanted to travel. Today we still have the phone except it is there with us all of the time. We still have the needs of others, but the others include all of the social media that we have come attached to watching constantly. Also, we can look up information so quickly and then find ourselves just “browsing” and looking at cat videos, losing an hour of time without realizing it.
How do we manage all of these distractions? Here are a few suggestions.
- Turn your phone off for periods of work time
- Have a couple of set times during the day to check email.
- Schedule social media time and leave it alone other times.
- Respect your own work time and tell others you will not be available during certain hours.
Things we can do for ourselves include:
- Get enough sleep so that you can concentrate
- Drink water during the day
- Get some fresh air – take a short brisk walk
- Have a list of the thing that need to doing and then choose 5-6 items that you prioritize for the day
- Use focused time and take breaks (Pomodoro technique)
Direct your focus. Concentrate your power. Decide what is important. Choose what you want from the day and life. Master your mission.